Lions Club District 12N Fall Forum
Saturday, October 21, 2017
- 79% of American adults use Facebook
- The average Facebook user has 155 friends
- (Facebook has 2 billion monthly users
Ways to Use Facebook as a Club:
- Inform Your Community about What You Do: Post photos of service projects or member recognitions, give vision screening/food pantry reports, share links to your website posts
- Educate the Public with posts about eye safety, vision symptoms to look out for, articles about the importance of screenings
- Recruit New Members by promoting upcoming meetings/speakers or give out a call for volunteers
- Announce Events such as club meetings, White Cane collection, or park cleanup day.
- Launch Fundraisers like your pecan sales, #GivingTuesday, or a drive for disaster relief
Important Differences between Profile, Page, Group
- Profiles must be an individual, not a club or business
- Profiles can create Pages and Groups
- Pages operate as entities. Groups operate as discussions.
- Pages can collect reviews (Groups can’t)
- Pages show up on searches (Groups are somewhat limited)
- Pages can control content better than Groups
- Pages can buy ads/promotions
What You Need to Decide Before Creating a Page:
- Who will own the Page (must be a member of your club)?
- Who will post on the Page (several can)?
- Who will monitor the Page (delete content)?
- What password will you use? Record it in case something happens to the owner
What You Need to Have Before Creating a Page:
- Good Cover Picture (1200×600 pixels recommended)
- Short Description of Your Club’s Purpose/Mission
- Contact Info (mailing address/P.O., phone, email, etc.)
Create Your Page (www.facebook.com/pages/create > Create a Page)
- Select Your Page Type (Organization > Cause recommended)
- Skip adding photos, but instead go to Settings >Page Visibility> Unpublished to prevent your unfinished changes from posting to the public.
Build your Page Profile (Page > Create Page @Username)
- Create a user name for your page (for example: Maryville Lions)
- Select some categories
- Enter a short description
- Upload a Cover Photo and Logo (recommended Size :1200×600 ) You can use a tool like Canva.com to create attractive cover photos (https://youtu.be/wf0DOqBN2u4)
Assign Page Roles (Settings > Page Roles)
- Have another person besides yourself as Admin in case your account gets hacked.
- If at some point you no longer wants to be an admin, ownership can be transferred to someone else by first adding them as an admin and then removing yourself.
Publish your Page and Invite Friends to Follow (Settings >Page Visibility> Published )
- To access your club page, click on Home and look for your page listed on the upper right side after posts.
- Get your members to comment using their personal profiles
- Check your Club Page frequently for interactions
- Respond to comments and messages from others
Advanced Facebook Features to Check Out Later:
Insights: Learn what’s interesting to others
Publishing Tools: Schedule posts ahead of time
Calling out other People/Pages with @
Tagging Others in Photos
Using Pay-per-click Ads
Set a limit
Use a prepaid credit card
Know your cost vs reward
Posting Online Order Forms (POWr Order Form for WordPress)
Broadcasting Live (Page > Publish > LIVE)